10 things I wish I knew before entering highschool
1. You’re gonna lose friends, but I promise that’s ok because you’re gonna learn that not everybody has to be your friend. And the friends you do have and end up making and keeping will be the best people in your life that you’ve ever had.
2. Literally nobody cares if you’re having sex or not.
3. There will be days, maybe even weeks where you don’t have anybody to sit with at lunch. There is absolutely nothing wrong with finding a nice place to sit and enjoying time by yourself.
4. You’re going to fall in love. And it’s gonna hurt so bad you’ll wish you could pack everything up and leave and never come back. But that’s okay, because one day after that, you’re going to fall in love. And it’s gonna feel so good that you’re going to wish you could pack everything up and throw it away because there will never be anything you need besides that one person for the rest of your life. And it’s going to be amazing. I promise.
5. If you need to cry, it’s okay. Cry during class, cry during lunch, cry in the nurses office, cry in the bathroom. Sometimes, tears can be better teachers than the ones in your classrooms.
6. People are going to start drinking and smoking, but if you aren’t or don’t want to-don’t. Nobody will think any less of you if you don’t wanna smoke a joint or take a shot with them. And if they do, I can assure you they are NOT worth your time.
7. If you’re going to get in trouble by anyone, the cops, the principle, whatever- always tell the truth. Don’t try and run away or cover it up because that’ll just get you into more trouble.
8. If you find yourself trying not to fall asleep because you’re up trying finish your homework at 3am, just go to bed. Seriously. Go to bed.
9. You’re going to do some pretty stupid things in these four years, but don’t let those things define you. Highschool is when you’re learning about who you are and making mistakes is just part of the process.
10. When it’s time to graduate, you’re going to be scared. And sad. And so fucking happy you won’t even know what to do with yourself. Freshman year is going to feel like a lifetime away, while first grade is going to feel like it happened only a few weeks ago. And I’m not entirely sure why that is. But what I am sure of, is that you’re going to be okay. So take a deep breath, and know that numbers on a sheet of paper describing how well you did on exams or whatever do not define you. Highschool does not define you.